My oldest little recently requested pumpkin pie cupcakes and being as I've never heard of such a thing, we decided to look for a recipe. I found several for pumpkin cupcakes, which I had a feeling would be too cakey for her as she was wanting more of the pie flavor without actually being pie. I found a recipe that looked like a good place to start and with a few tweaks, we came reasonably close. We added the surprise of a gingersnap cookie as a base to the cupcake for a bit of extra spice. They had the right flavor, were slightly creamy and dense, and with whipped cream and a sprinkle of extra cinnamon, they were a pretty good rainy day dessert. Our Spring has certainly been Fall-like with its cool temps and frequent rain, so these fit right in, despite the normal Autumn association that pumpkin has. Recipe below image.
Pumpkin pie cupcakes
1-1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 29-oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup milk
Small, round gingersnap cookies that will fit in the cupcake liners.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Makes about 24-30 cupcakes. Line muffin tins with paper liners and place one gingersnap in the bottom of each liner.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and all spices.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin puree, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, sweetened condensed milk and milk until well combined.
- Add in dry ingredients and whisk until no streaks of flour remain and batter is smooth.
- Fill each muffin cup to just below top of liner. These cupcakes sink when cooling because of the creamy consistency so will end up being fairly flat on top.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes. Cool cupcakes in pan then transfer to refrigerator once they're at room temperature.
- Serve chilled and topped with lightly sweetened whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.